Pat Porteous VC (Final Part)

They pushed on under intense fire from the flak tower and from snipers who were targeting them from the windows of the battery office and the surrounding buildings. Some of the German snipers had been shocked from their beds and with pillow-ruffled hair they were still dressed in pyjamas.

Crouching down behind a four-foot-high bank, Pat contacted HQ to report they were in position and ready to assault. Moments later, in a perfectly choreographed move, a squadron of spitfires strafed Hess with cannon fire and then Lovat fired off three white Very flares which was the signal for B and F Troops to fix bayonets and charge the gun positions.

“Right, let’s go in.” Pat led the rush forward, leaping over the embankment and into open ground towards the gun sites. He felt a punch in his thigh and a boiling hot pain spreading inside his flesh and realised he had been shot again They darted between buildings, in and out of buildings, tossing grenades, thrusting with bayonets and firing off rounds until the site was a maelstrom of smoke and explosions and screams.

The first gun pit Pat came to had been hit by a mortar and was full of German corpses so he lurched in the direction of the next. He refused to surrender to the pain in his leg. He tried to imagine he was in a rugger scrum; he had to keep going until they were over the line. His rifle had been smashed and he couldn’t reload his pistol with only one hand. He staggered on, tumbled into a gun pit and was dragged out by two of his men. The demolition team jumped into the pit and went to work: open the breech, ram in the charge, close the breech, set the delay mechanism, take cover. The gun barrels split open like peeled bananas. The job was done. Pat finally yielded and collapsed from pain and loss of blood.

Pinned to the ravaged remains of the battery commander’s wall was the duty roster for 19 August 1942:
06:45 – 07:00 Frühsport (early morning exercise)

The Germans had certainly had their early morning exercise but not of the type they were expecting; scorched and mangled bodies littered the ground.

There weren’t enough stretchers to go round so the medical orderlies improvised. Anything suitable was stripped from the battery office and surrounding buildings. Mademoiselle Bertin’s lavatory door was about to go on an excursion to England. Pat was lifted onto one of the doors with two German prisoners acting as his stretcher-bearers. The terrified prisoners had to wade out into the sea almost up to their shoulders to load Pat onto Peter Scott’s gunboat. He had his leg and hand patched up before being transferred onto a destroyer for his journey back to England.

A German prisoner, Unteroffizier Leo Marsiniak, being escorted at Newhaven. He was captured at the gun battery at Varengeville by No. 4 Commando © IWM (H 22597)

Once back on British soil, Pat was sent to the Canadian General Hospital at Bramshott and during his six-week stay there he realised he had suffered the family wound: his father and his brother Lawrie had received thigh injuries in exactly the same spot during their wars.

His hospital reverie and recuperation was interrupted one day by a telephone call from his mother. He had been awarded the Victoria Cross. He was astonished. “Brave?” he exclaimed, “Good Heavens, I was terrified!”

In 1962, Pat returned to the beaches of Dieppe as a Lieutenant Colonel to participate in a ceremony to remember those who had lost their lives twenty years earlier. Operation Cauldron had been a success, Operation Jubilee of which it was a small part was not so: around 4,100 men – many of them Canadian – had been slaughtered, injured or taken prisoner.
Embed from Getty Images
At two minutes to two on the afternoon of 19 August 1962, marking the time when the last shot had been fired in 1942, a wreath was lowered into the sea, ships in the port sounded their horns and three French jet fighters swooped low over the square where the veterans stood, silently remembering. Pat’s thoughts were with his 4 Commando comrades, with Captain Pettiward, Lieutenant Macdonald and the other brave commandos who never really had a chance to experience life. The following day Pat journeyed along the coast to meet the inhabitants of Berneval who wanted to name a street in his honour.

Patrick Anthony Porteous VC died on the 9th of October 2000 at the age of 82. Remnants of the blockhouse and site of the Hess battery are still visible today and a monument was erected on the beach at Sainte-Marguerite-sur-Mer in August 2002 to the memory of the soldiers of No. 4 Commando. And it is still possible to take a stroll along Avenue du Captain Portheous in Berneval-le-Grand.


Glarnies, Green Berets & Goons: The Life and Legacy of Larry Stephens
Get some unique rewards and your name in the back of the book when you pre-order


7 thoughts on “Pat Porteous VC (Final Part)

  1. Wow what a tale of bravery and valour. Well presented too, was like being in the middle of it. My Canadian brethren didnt fair so well. I feel angry for them; shabby planning and supplies robbed them of the chance to success, not green skills or lack of trying.

    Liked by 1 person

  2. Our Green bérets parents taught us that the death of so many Canadians at Dieppe was the main dramatic experience that had allowed the success of Overlord two years latter. We French remember and hold these men in high regard.

    Liked by 2 people

  3. Many believe that the Dieppe Raid (Operation Jubilee), on which so many young servicemen lost their lives, was a pointless and badly planned exercise…
    Mountbatten, post-War, always claimed that it was a practice run for the D-Day landings and many valuable lessons had been learnt – this, to a point was true but there was another purpose behind the Operation.
    New evidence has come to light that there was also a highly secret mission for which the main raid played, in part, a diversionary role.
    Unfortunately, due to a number of significant factors, the whole raid was a disaster and a large number of lives were lost; but had this secret mission been successful, the war would have certainly ended a lot sooner and a great many lives would not have been lost.

    The secret mission was to be carried out by 10 Platoon, X Company of the RM Commando.
    Lead by Lt Huntingdon-Whiteley RM, 10 Platoon’s secret task was to raid the German Naval HQ in Dieppe Docks and come away with ciphers and codes and – a 4 wheel Enigma machine! Although the Bletchley Park had a three wheel Enigma, the new 4 wheel version used by U-Boats, made cracking the codes almost impossible and the Allies had begun to lose significant numbers of ships. Capture of one of these machines was of vital importance.

    Lt Cmdr Ian Fleming of RN Intelligence was the brains behind using 10 Platoon for this secret mission and during the lead up to Op Jubliee, War Diaries show that 10 Platoon received different training from the rest the RM Commando (although, for security reasons, reference to 10 Platoon’s training is very vague in the WDs.).
    Lt Cmdr Fleming was on the Command vessel which sailed as part of the raid. Had the raid been successful, Huntingdon-Whiteley would have been given a special boat to take the Enigma to Fleming who would then have been taken swiftly back to the UK.

    The mission was not successful…

    Fleming went on to form 30 Commando (also known as 30 Assault Unit or 30 AU) a number of 10 Platoon’s members became the core of 30 Commando.

    Liked by 2 people

  4. Pierre Lagacé, with regard to 10 Platoon’s mission – which I have briefly described – it was so secret that the members of 10 Platoon were not aware of their real task.
    Indeed, Paul McGrath, one of the original 10 Platoon involved on that fateful day had no knowledge of their part in Op Jubilee until very recently.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s